About Old Rayne

Old Rayne is a small village in the Garioch district of Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

Old Rayne lies on the River Urie, to the east of the A96 road between Inverurie and Huntly approximately 26 miles from Aberdeen.

Once a burgh of barony and the site of a bishop's palace, Old Rayne is host to the centuries old Lourin Fair where horse coupers and cattle dealers came over the hills to join the craftsmen and traders gathered near the mercat cross (market cross)

A bronze age stone circle dating from approx 3000BC lies 500m south east of the village. Exacations in 1856 unearthed cremations, pottery, and a greenstone archer’s wristguard.

Nestling in the foot hills of Bennachie, Old Rayne has expanded over the past few years. Ameneties include the Primary School, St Lawrence Hall, Poppy's Hairdressers. Further businesses are located in adjoining Pitmachie.